Friday, December 9, 2011

Club Review: Titleist 910 D3

Another driver review here.  This one was my second choice as driver of the year in 2011.  The Titleist 910 D3 was the first adjustable driver offered by Titleist.  Many traditional golfers dreaded the day that Titleist entered the adjustable craze, but this driver lived up to the hype.

I could not wait to get my 910 D3 in the mail.  When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was how well the adjustable hosel camouflaged into the head.  There was no way to tell the ferrule or hosel was any different than your normal glue-in driver head.  The one thing I did not like about the Taylor Made adjustable drivers was the noticeable ferrule.  I also noticed how well the black face and black crown blended.  This made for a great framing of the ball by the driver.  The driver had the traditional Titleist pear-shaped head, which was a nice touch, after the 907 series.  This driver also looked a lot more crisp than the too-rounded 909 series.  Even the alignment aid was subtle but effective.  There was nothing not to like about this driver.

Upon taking it to the course, I proceded to rip my first drive down the middle of the fairway.  The club worked out nicely but did not have all the feel I was looking for.  As I hit more drives with it throughout the round, I noticed the forgiveness factory was lacking, and for me that is necessary.  As someone who does not get the time to practice golf as much as I would like to, forgiveness is an important factor.  Also, on off-center hits, as well as good strikes, the feel was kind-of harsh.  It did not feel bad, but just not soft.  The sound was good and the results were pretty good, but just did not have the WOW factor for me.

I took it out for a couple more rounds, and tried a few different settings.  Increasing the loft helped in the forgiveness department as expected, but the harsh feeling just never left.  I don't know if it was the head, but it just did not feel like all the other Titleist drivers I have hit (except the 907 series that, IMO, was a huge flop).  I would definitely recommend this driver to any advanced players out there who are very good ballstrikers, but would advise mid-handicappers to either take a look at the 910 D2 or a different driver all together.

My ratings:
Look: 5/5
Feel: 3/5
Forgiveness: 3/5
Distance: 4/5
Overall: 3.5/5 B-

Could definitely have been a better driver IMO

1 comment:

  1. This is a solid review on the 910, I just bought one and I'm learning haha.

    This is a good review about it by Shadow G

    http://shadowgolfer.blogspot.com/2012/07/equipment-review-titleist-910-d3.html

    It is what made me buy it.

    ReplyDelete