The field is filled with big names, although a few are missing. Luke Donald returns to defend his title, and Sergio Garcia and Adam Scott are making the trip up the road from Doral to Tampa. Here is my five picks for fantasy golf this week, and the reasons I am selecting them.
1. Sergio Garcia: Garcia is coming off a T-3 at Doral where excellent ballstriking was key for him. the Copperhead Course requires precise shotmaking as well, so look for Garcia to continue his hot play.
2. Jason Dufner: It is about time for Dufner to break out on the PGA Tour this year. He started the year off with top 10s overseas in the Middle East, but a T12 last week at Doral is his best finish on the PGA Tour this year. With his ballstriking ability, though, Copperhead sets up nicely for his game.
3. Matt Kuchar: Last week was an anomaly for Kuchar, where he struggled to get off level par for the week. But with a T12 in 2009 and a T10 last year, Kuchar's game sets up for the Copperhead Course. He should bring in good thoughts even though he had a lackluster Cadillac Championship.
4. Luke Donald: I didn't expect Luke Donald to have such a mediocre start to 2013. I fully expect the 2012 champion of this event will have good thoughts trying to defend his title. I think he will break through and have a solid week, if not another win.
5. Jim Furyk: Furyk would love to prove critics wrong after failing to close out multiple wins in 2012. This course sets up perfectly for the accurate Furyk, who would love to enter the winners circle again.
Dark Horse: Patrick Cantlay
After a win on the Web.com tour and a decent showing in Puerto Rico, Cantlay is teeing it up on the PGA Tour again this week. I expect him to be confident with his game, and the youngster might just go low one of the rounds. Look for him to be around the top of the leaderboard throughout the week.