Friday, January 11, 2013

Pre-Season Blues: Golf in 2013

Golf is back in 2013!  At least, on television.  For those of you in the northern United States and Canada, I feel your pain.  It is impossible to watch golf on The Golf Channel in Hawaii without having the urge to grab the sticks and head out to the course.  But if you are like me, there is over a foot of snow on the ground and high temperatures pushing 25 degrees.  So what can we do?  Unless you have a timeshare in Myrtle Beach or somewhere warm, or have an upcoming vacation planned, we are stuck inside for a few more months.

The golf blues usually start around mid-December when the courses have been closed for a few weeks to a month and the first major snowfall has occurred.  Up to that point you usually are holding out hope for global warming to kick in and keep the courses open year round.  But when the white stuff builds up on the greens and fairways you drive by every day on your way to work, your optimism fades to depression.

There's always the indoor golf domes and simulators, but who wants to bang balls off mats for hours without knowing what kind of shot you are hitting.  Not me, at least.  The World Challenge, Tiger's tournament, usually is the first breaking point for me after the season ends.  Seeing the professionals teeing it up in usually-sunny California really gets to me.  I start to realize I will not be teeing it up until March at the earliest and I get antsy.

So what do I do?  I scour the web for any signs of new golf clubs being released by the big name companies.  I try to find out as much as I can about them and tell myself each new club I see is going to be the one I will be playing the upcoming season.  I can go through as many as 5 to 6 drivers without them even being released to the public.  My mind tells me each and every one will be the savior of my golf game, but my pocketbook tells me the sticks in the closet will do.

What else do I do?  Well, Golfwrx.com is a great website to spend countless hours laughing, bragging, and trolling about your golf game (I try to avoid the latter to spare myself from the wrath of the Golfwrx mafia).  You can find information about new and upcoming clubs, you can find info from the tour, and they have a marketplace to buy used clubs from the lucky bastards in the south who have access to golf courses year round.

Now that the 2013 PGA Tour season is underway and touring professionals are using the clubs introduced for 2013, it makes the urge to golf even worse.  I have no upcoming travel plans and with the snow on the ground definitely do not see golf in my near future.  The clubs are tucked away in the back of my closet and probably have a decent layer of dust.

So if you're reading this I am probably on my way out to shovel another three inches of snow and clear the driveway for work.  And if you are on your way to the golf course, just think about how lucky you are to have picked somewhere warm to live.  And if not, call the real estate agent and get yourself to Florida.

2 comments:

  1. Alex

    I feel your pain....golf does not start here until April....oh the sorrow!

    Cheers
    The Grateful Golfer

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was almost 50 today, a lot of the snow melted...next 2 weeks forecasted below 20 degrees and some snow. Just when I think I'm getting a miracle it all crashes down.

    ReplyDelete