Monday, July 23, 2012

What's In The Bag: Ernie Els 2012 Open Champion (British Open)

Ernie Els, 10 years after his first Open Championship victory, claimed his fourth career major at Royal Lytham and St. Annes yesterday.  Here's what he used to win:

From ErnieEls.com:

Driver:

Callaway RAZR Fit Driver

"One of the things I love about being associated with Callaway is the company is always innovating and improving its products. The Diablo Octane Black driver that I used from the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in 2010 until late summer 2011 was probably the best driver I've ever used, but Callaway never stands still.
"They've moved the game on again with the RAZR Fit Driver, which I've been using since October and will be on sale in pro shops from early 2012. The club features two weights in the heel and toe of the sole and a movable hosel that adjusts to three settings: square, 2.5-degrees open and 1.5-degrees closed. It's a simple solution to help golfers find the optimum setting for his or her game. There are lots of other hidden little extras to aid performance and I like the compact dimensions and cleaner head design. It scores on looks and performance." - Ernie Els
Ernie's Driver Specification
Shaft: Speeder 757 X

Loft: 8.8 degrees

Swing Weight: D5.5

Length: 45.5 inches

Grip: Tour Velvet 58

Fairway Woods:

Callaway X-Fairway Metals

Pleasing aesthetics and class-leading technology is the combination a golfer can expect from Callaway’s X Fairway Metals. The Tour range features slightly smaller clubheads and stronger lofts. Ingenious weight distribution technology produces the ideal ball-flight and enhances the club’s forgiveness to off-centre hits. The Tour-inspired X-sole design helps eliminate inconsistent set-up of the clubhead behind the ball; its shape also helps keep the clubface square through the hitting area to promote greater accuracy on shots from the fairway and from rough.
Spec: 3-wood with 15-degrees loft; 5-wood with 19-degrees loft; both fitted with KBS Tour FST shafts, X-stiff, half-inch longer than standard. Yardages: 255 (3-wood); 230 (5-wood).
“I’m really happy with the fairway metals that Callaway have put in my hands. These two models give me the perfect spread of yardages; a 15-degree 3-wood and an 19-degree 5-wood." - Ernie Els

Irons:

Callaway RAZR X Forged Irons

Following the success and critical acclaim of Callaway's X-Prototype Forged irons comes this new model, the RAZR X Forged irons. This is an uncompromised forged iron for elite golfers. What sets it apart is the unique ‘Triple Net' forging process. This three-step forging yields superior feel and enables high-performance Tour CC grooves to be precision forged into each clubface.
Spec: Callaway RAZR X Forged Irons; KBS Tour FST shafts, X-Stiff, half-inch longer than standard, lie angle 1-degree upright; lofts, 1-degree stronger than standard; swing weight, D3.
"One of the great things about working with Callaway is they really listen to the feedback from the top players and they never fail to deliver. The RAZR X Forged irons have that classic blade appearance from the players' eye view, which I love, and I really appreciate the feel at impact. The ball comes off the face nice and soft, yet I get a strong ball-flight. My distance control is good right through the bag." - Ernie Els
Yardages
2-iron: 238
3-iron: 225
4-iron: 212
5-iron: 205
6-iron: 188
7-iron: 178
8-iron: 164
9-iron: 152
PW: 134

Wedges:

Callaway X-Series Jaws CC Wedges

Engineered by Callaway Chief Designer Roger Cleveland, the X Series Jaws CC Wedges feature the new Tour CC Grooves that meet new Tour regulations, currently the only place they are required for play. The C-Grind Sole and classic head design ensure versatility for the short game, providing Tour-level feel from soft forged 1020 carbon steel. Available in chrome finish or slate (pictured) as used by Ernie.
Spec: 52 and 60 degrees loft, both fitted with KBS Tour FST shafts, X-stiff, half-inch longer than standard; lie angle 1-degree upright; swing weight, D4.
"Callaway has made a series of fantastic wedges since I signed for them and this is the latest model, which I bagged as soon as they were available. As with the previous model, they've got that classic ‘tear-drop' shape which I really like. Feel off the clubface is perfect; quite soft and I get plenty of spin." - Ernie Els
Yardages
SW 52-degrees: 120

SW 60-degrees: 88

Putter:

Odyssey White Hot Belly Putter

"The Odyssey guys have been great; they've made me a selection of putters since I signed for Callaway. And since I made the switch to the belly putter in early summer 2011 I must confess I've mixed things up pretty good and tried several models! This one could be a keeper, though. I've begun to feel increasingly comfortable over the ball and my stroke is becoming more repeatable under the gun. That's the name of the game." - Ernie Els

Ball:

Callaway HEX Black Tour Golf Ball

The HEX Black Tour is Callaway's most highly engineered golf ball ever, offering six points of performance:
- Superior greenside spin
- Penetrating tour distance
- Enhanced durability
- Soft feel
- Consistent distance control
- Holds line in the wind
This dual core construction provides optimized spin separation from tee to green, offering longer distance off the driver and long irons due to lower spin, and higher spin closer to the green for superior greenside control. In essence, the best of both worlds.
"I didn't think they could improve on the previous golf ball, but because I've lost a bit of yardage in the last few years I asked the guys at Callaway if they could make the ball longer. They've done that and the HEX gives me at least five yards extra through the air. I still love the feel, which gives me lots of control around the greens, but I get that extra little bit of distance as well, which is music to my ears." - Ernie Els





No comments:

Post a Comment