Saturday, December 3, 2011

First Club Review: Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0 TP V2

So here's my first attempt at a club review.

This year has been a tough year trying to find a driver.  I finally broke down and decided to spend the money on a good fitting.  I did a 2 hour extensive shaft fitting at GolfEtc in Wausau, Wisconsin, and couldn't be happier.  I was able to try out all of the new heads from this year and was fit into a mid launch, low spin shaft.  Out of my good fits, I decided to go with the Fubuki Alpha 60X shaft because of the smoothness and feel I get while playing it.  The head, though, was another story.

I decided to go with a Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0 TP V2 9.5 degree head shafted with the Fubuki Alpha 6X straight in.  No tipping and playing at 45.5 inches.  When the club arrived I noticed how well the white head and black face shadows the golf ball.  It is almost impossible to address the ball with the clubface not square.  I also noticed the lack of offset with the TP model, which helps me turn the face over throughout the swing.  The shaft graphics are as good as it gets from Taylor Made with the R11 Fubuki.  I like how it seems simple and uncluttered.

I could not wait to get it to the course.  The first hole I was way too amped up and hit the drive thin and low, but I was amazed how straight and long the drive went hitting it on the low side of the face.  The next couple drives were much better.  I was finally back to my small fade and it was lonnnnng.  I usually would average about 265 to 270 with my driver, but this one was significantly longer, hitting the ball 280 on average and in the fairway.  On the fairways I missed it was an alignment error, the ball flight was as consistent as it could be.  The face was hot and the feel was amazing.  And when I happened to miss the center of the club face, the ball still went long and had the same ball flight.  After a few shots, the graphics on the club head are unnoticeable, and the white club head was not distracting at all.  The first round was a success.

But I had to take it out again, to see if it was a honeymoon period or if this really was the driver of the year.  The second round was much of the same, except I hit a few drives to places I had never been before.  I mishit a few more shots than last time, but the mishits were drives that ended up 240-250 in the fairway instead of 240-250 in the woods.  I also was able to reach a couple more greens in 2 on par 5s than I ever have.  I was stuck behind some slow players so I couldn't get in to much of a rhythm, but this club was as good as it gets.

My Ratings:

Looks: 4/5
Feel: 4.5/5
Forgiveness: 4/5
Distance: 5/5
Overall Score: 4.5/5 A

This driver is hard to beat as the driver of the year for 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment